About Broken Arrow's Refuse Service
The City of Broken Arrow is the fourth largest city in the state and provides various services to an estimated population of 112,000 spread out over 55 square miles.
Trash/refuse service is currently provided to residential customers twice weekly. Here is some general information about the City’s refuse service:
- All household waste must be in plastic refuse bags with a capacity of 30 gallons or less and tied shut, even if it is in a trash can. Place refuse at curb and do not block trash with vehicle. If the waste is not in plastic refuse bags, sanitation personnel are not required to pick it up. Plastic grocery sacks are not considered refuse bags.
- Help keep our Sanitation workers safe — please do not place glass or sharp objects in bag where workers can be injured when handling your bag.
- Everything that is to be picked up must be set at the curb by 7:00 a.m. on the regular pickup day. Don’t rely on routes being run at the same time every day.
- The exact time of pickup on each day depends on the volume of trash placed out and the number of people picking up trash that day.
- Sanitation employees begin work at 7:00 a.m. each day and work until all routes are completed. In the summertime, this may be as late or later than 9:00 p.m. If routes cannot be completed, crews will begin where they left off the next morning.
- There is a limit of ten (10) 30-gallon bags of yard waste and/or bundles of brush per household per pickup. For each bag and/or bundle over 10, there will be an extra charge of $1.25 per bag or bundle.
- Yard waste bags larger than 30 gallons will be charged as 2 bags.
- All tree limbs, brush, and branches (3 inch diameter or less), must be cut in four- to five-foot lengths and tied into 1- to 2-foot diameter bundles.
- Grass clippings must be placed in plastic bags and tied shut. Loose grass in a trashcan will not be picked up.
- Large piles of yard waste, (limbs larger than 3 inch diameter) or brush that is not or cannot be bundled will require a bulky pickup that will result in an additional charge.
Items that Sanitation Crews Do Not Pick Up
- Hypodermic syringes, needles and other objects used or intended for use in injecting or removing any substance into or from the human body that are not in the proper type of container. If you do not have the proper container, contact your medical provider. For further information, see Section 12-26(a), Code of Ordinances, City of Broken Arrow, Oklahoma.
- Roofing, materials and/or wood from remodeling, privacy or other fencing. (See section 6.)
- Bags of dirt, rocks or concrete. (See section 6.)
- The City will not pick up hazardous waste of any type, including but not limited to: oil, liquid paint of any kind, batteries, tires, gun ammo/powder, fuel or propane tanks, bio-hazardous waste and similar items that pose a potential hazard to human health and safety or to the environment.
Large Item Pickups
Additional charges will apply to large items:
- Large item pickups include, but not limited to: Mattresses and/or box spring sets, hot water heaters, disassembled swing sets, furniture items, major appliances, carpet (2’ x 5’ roll max) and yard equipment.
- Major appliances with refrigeration systems will be accepted only if the proper documentation is attached that documents the refrigerant has been properly removed by a licensed CFC technician.
Bulky Item Pickups
Call Operations at 918-259-8373 to arrange a special pickup.